Instant Algae® Storage and Feeding
Instant Algae® should be stored in a cold refrigerator (-1 to 4 C) and will have a minimum shelf life of 4 months.
|Storing||Refrigerate @ -1 to 4 C||Freeze|
|Isochrysis 1800||YES||> NO <|
|Pavlova 1800||YES||> NO <|
|Thalassiosira weissflogii 1200||YES||> NO <|
|Shellfish Diet 1800||YES||> NO <|
Instant Algae® products can be used immediately without any mixing or dilution NEVER use a blender to mix the algae as this will rupture the cells.
If your water salinity is below 20 PPT (1.015 specific gravity) we recommend putting the algae concentrate dosage in a bucket or bowl, then slowly adding a bit of your system water while stirring. This will minimize osmotic pressure changes inside the algae cells. This is very seldom a problem.
Preferred Feeding Protocol for Instant Algae
The preferred protocol for using Instant Algae® is to use continuous feeding. This can be difficult with live algae but is very easy with a concentrate and has the following advantages:
- Minimize manpower by setting up the feeding only once each day
- Achieve higher rotifer densities - up to 5,000 / ml!
- Achieve complete algae consumption - reduce fouling
- Increase rotifer densities up to 15X over batch feeding
To use Instant Algae® in continuous feeding:
- Calculate the amount of algae needed during a 24 hour period
- Mix using the protocols described above
Gravity Flow Method (Simple and Inexpensive)
- Hang the bucket slightly above tank
- Use a thin plastic tube to siphon the algae from the bucket into the tank
- Use a clip to regulate the flow of algae so it will run for a full day at a constant drip
- In warm environments add a frozen "gel ice" to the bucket to keep the algae concentrate cool
Metering Pump (Better)
- Use an inexpensive meting pump ($150-200) to maintain constant flow rate
- The bucket can be located anywhere in your hatchery and can feed several tanks at the same time
Tetraselmis is a heavy algae that tends to settle to the bottom of the bags. If you notice clumps in the bags simply squeeze the bag several times and it will go back into suspension. This does not affect the quality of the product.
Thalassiosira weissflogii (TW)
TW will gradually change color from brown to a dark green. This is caused by a chemical change in the chlorophyll and does not affect the nutritional value of the algae.
Sand or Crystals in the algae
If you notice what appears to be sand or crystals in the paste - this is normal. They are salt crystals that form during processing.
Dissolved Oxygen (DO) Levels
Instant Algae® products do not add oxygen in your water so it might be necessary to increase your aeration levels or supplement with pure oxygen. For more information please contact us.
Storing and Maintaining Rotifers
The rotifers will arrive in clear plastic bags and should immediately be put in a refrigerator. By keeping the rotifers cold their metabolism will slow significantly, reducing their need for oxygen and food. The rotifers can be chilled to 0°C (32°F).